22255VIC Certificate III in EAL (Further Study)
General: Certificate III (Further Study) outcomes focus on the consolidation of English speaking and listening, reading, writing and study skills to participate in a range of Australian further study contexts. Outcomes include literacy skills including digital literacy skills and cultural and critical knowledge and skills together with knowledge and skills to access further education pathways. Participants may pathway to vocational or other education or to further English language courses.
This course enables participants from a range of cultural and educational backgrounds to develop English language skills, including:
- those who have immigrated to Australia who are recent arrivals;
- those who have immigrated to Australia and are longer term residents returning to study, to improve their English skills after having previously worked in low skilled jobs or having been out of the workforce;
- Indigenous Australians who are learning English as an additional language or dialect.
Entry: Entry to this course is determined according to the following criteria:
- a participant’s current English language skills. (The Listening and Speaking and Reading and Writing units in the Framework will provide the basis for initial assessment processes and placement of participants at the appropriate proficiency level);
- a participant’s prior formal education experience, both overseas and in Australia;
- any prior EAL learning;
- a participant’s learning and pathway needs including employability skills, literacies (digital and other literacies), and further educational and vocational training needs.
Every student will be required to complete the English Proficiency Assessment test and a Pre-Training Interview. Students must also be at least 18 years of age.
Vocational or educational outcomes: There are no formal articulation arrangements for pathways into VET or higher education courses on completion of this course. Students can go onto further study options, including 22258VIC Certificate IV in EAL (Further Study).
Delivery and assessment: This course is delivered in a classroom setting. Strategies include a variety of assessment methods and evidence gathering techniques, which offer an integrated approach to assessment.
Assessment methods and tools may include:
- verbal presentations
- multi-media presentations
- student self-assessments
- on-going teacher assessment
- direct observation
- simulated role plays
- third party feedback e.g. from teachers, community members or peers
- verbal questioning to confirm linguistic, sociolinguistic and cultural knowledge
|Unit Code||Unit Descriptor||Nominal Hrs|
|VU21323||Develop and document a learning plan and portfolio||20|
|VU21499||Give straightforward oral presentations for further study||80|
|VU21500||Participate in a range of straight forward interactions for further study||70|
|VU21501||Read and write straightforward texts for research purposes||80|
|VU21502||Analyse and produce straightforward texts relevant to further study||80|
|VU21503||Listen and take notes for research||45|
|VU21504||Use language learning strategies and study skills||45|
|Unit Code||Unit Descriptor||Nominal Hrs|
|VU21470||Investigate issues in the Australian environment||50|
|VU21473||Investigate Australian art and culture||50|
This Training is delivered with Victorian and Commonwealth Government Funding. Eligibility criteria apply. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please make sure you have read all the course information about units of study, duration, entry requirements, assessment information, job prospects etc.
1. You must attend a pre-training interview which includes a Language, Literacy and Numeracy test and complete the eligibility declaration form (in the case of students applying for Skills First Program Funding).
2. To complete the application process, click on the ‘Apply Now’ link. Complete the steps involved to submit your application online.
3. ITHEA will assess your application and make sure all entry requirements are met. An ITHEA representative will contact you if your application is unsuccessful.